With several exciting vacancies within the Propositions department, Direct Resourcing Consultant Felicity took the time to speak with Chris Walsh, our Propositions Manager for Farming, about his career with NFU Mutual to date.
How did you come to join the Propositions team?
I started on the NFU Mutual Professional Trainee scheme with little previous experience of farm insurance and originally focused on marketing research and communications.
Proposition development really interested me so after working initially on a farming project, I then left the scheme early to take a role as Analyst in Propositions. Over the past two years I have worked on developing my farming knowledge and new product development ability, resulting in moving on to a Consultant role and now a Farming Proposition Manager role.
What do you believe makes NFU Mutual and the Propositions team a great place to work?
Key to me has been helping to develop team members – like they have with me, the team is very keen to develop members of the team and support them in their career planning. I regularly work on new, business-leading projects and developments across the business, in which I try and include employees from across the core business functions.
The Propositions team is really supportive with a vast experience across the industry and NFU Mutual and assists in new tasks as well as learning and qualification activity.
I think our high Gallup engagement scores across the Propositions team are testament to the team.
You are currently recruiting for a Propositions Consultant to join your team in Farming, what will this person get to play a part in?
They will be:
- Transforming and enhancing NFU Mutual’s propositions for core customers, who represent almost 75% of the UK’s farmers
- Working on new, business-leading projects
- Being part of a small team, where you can own pieces of work from start to finish
- Presenting to senior management on key projects and farming issues
- Attending industry events and networking opportunities – we work closely with the farming unions, rural affinity groups and colleges
- Helping to shape product offerings, sales campaigns and marketing for UK farmers – this will provide a lot of experience and opportunities.